I was accepted to the Harvard Graduate School of Education Master’s program in Education Policy and Management.
I found out today I didn’t receive the merit scholarships from Harvard. While I’m willing to take out student loans to make this program a reality, there’s only so much money I’m approved to borrow. With an estimated $60K price tag, this makes things difficult. I’ve come up with an idea, and I’m asking for your help.
Will you invest in me?
I know a couple things:
- I believe in transparency.
- The kind of transparency that shows not only what is happening, but also what is possible.
- I believe in the value of education.
- I believe the value of any education can be increased by dialogue and transparency.
- I believe there’s value to be had in the discussion of a transparent education.
- The connections made in the pursuit of this discussion are the value. The discussion has happened and will continue happen, but the experience of transparent education and the network of people that gather around this experience will exponentially increase the value. It is the sustained part of the discussion that will make this important. It isn’t one paper. It isn’t one blog post. It isn’t one Personal Learning Network (PLN) project. It is the ongoing experience of learning in an transparent way. Finding a way to make the value grow because there are more people learning together is worthwhile work.
I want my graduate experience to be a conversation and a text that builds itself. I will blog about my studies every single day. Every paper and project will be shared online (and built online whenever possible) and Creative Commons-licensed. As a function of the blog, the program of study will be posted publicly so that all backers will be able to view any class notes as they are drafted in Google Docs to later be posted as part of the archive.
In every possible way, the experience will be public, transparent and built around the dialogue it generates.
What you get:
Funders will receive access to the project blog as well as be guaranteed one public thank you throughout the course of the program. Starting at $40, backers for this project will receive live access to all course notes as they are drafted when available, a weekly multimedia e-mail blast documenting the social highlights of the course of study including music, films, books and television shows. From $80 and up, backers will also be invited to monthly online chats to discuss the program status, content and any issues of relevance. Should the archive be published in book form, all backers will be thanked within the text.
- A donation of $40 or more.
- Blog, tweet, e-mail, text and share this project with everyone you know and tell them to do the same.
- Join the conversation.
- Blog: autodizactic.com
- Twitter: @MrChase
- Curriculum Vitae
- Keynote Presentation to the faculty and staff of the Brecksville-Broadview Hts. School District in Brecksville, OH
- Professional Development Session to teachers of the Suba District in Mbita, Kenya
If all of this proves impossible and I am not able to attend Harvard, any collected funds will be donated to Science Leadership Academy.